A Graduate Education Program of Universität Hamburg in Cooperation with DESY
Next call: 15 October – 15 December 2017
Apply from 15 October 2017
The PIER Helmholtz Graduate School is looking forward to receiving applications of talented doctoral candidates, who are holding a Master degree or who are nearing graduation in the PIER research fields. Interdisciplinary PhD projects are welcome. Please read the information below carefully and then submit your data to our online application database.
How to apply & what you need if you want to work with us:
Become familiar with the local research teams in your research field and name your favorites in our application form. See here for an overview of research teams. Please submit your application to our application database. You have to complete the process in one session, it is not possible to log onto the system again to complete parts of the application.
Please note: We recruit PhD students for more than 100 research teams in Hamburg. Successful candidates will be employed as research assistants at DESY or Universität Hamburg.The salary for research assistants is approximately 1800 € (pre-tax, this corresponds to 50% TVL 13, the collective wage agreement). Funding is not provided by the graduate school but by the research teams. As the group leaders decide upon the timing for interviews and the start of the PhD projects our timeline is not binding but for the orientation of the candidates.
You can start a PhD at Universität Hamburg year-round, there is no fixed start date.The tuition fees at Universität Hamburg are fully covered by the German government, only an administrative fee will have to be paid per semester (6 months). The fee varies each semester between € 290 -350. The fee includes a public transport ticket for Hamburg.
Excellent reasons to study with us:
1. Academic training provided by international experts
2. Access to unique technologies such as the world’s brightest storage ring PETRA III, the free-electron laser FLASH and FLASH II, and the superlative X-ray laser source XFEL
3. University of Hamburg among the best global Universities for physics: no. 2 in Germany
4. PhD within three years with regular feedback from your scientific advisory team
5. Contract as a research assistant at University of Hamburg or DESY (salary approx. 1.800€ pre-tax per month) including health care and social insurance coverage
6. Financial support for research trips, conferences and childcare
7.Interdisciplinary research and work in a cosmopolitan environment
8. Acquisition of key competences for your future career in science, business or industry
9. Comprehensive student support service including leisure activities and language courses
10. Hamburg is one of Europe’s most livable cities with a rich academic, cultural and artistic life