You are starting a PhD at DESY or Universität Hamburg and want to become a member of the PIER Helmholtz Graduate School? Here you can sign up.
Online membership database
If you are already doing a PhD at Universität Hamburg or DESY and would like to register as a member in the PIER Helmholtz Graduate School, please read the information below carefully and then submit your data in our online membership database.
How do I benefit from being a member?
The graduate school gives its members privileged access to the facility and reserves fixed slots for them:
- Members can take part in non-specialist events for doctoral candidates, including language courses, career workshops and events for obtaining key skills.
- Members can receive financial assistance so that they can, for example, organise workshops, participate in conferences, conduct research abroad and take their children along when going on official trips.
- Members can also take advantage of other offers such as leisure activities, field trips and the buddy programme.
Members benefit from the graduate school's training programme
- Members receive excellent scientific supervision, thanks to regularly documented meetings between the doctoral candidate and his or her team of supervisors. The meetings help to ensure that the dissertation is quickly completed and of high quality. Mediation services are provided in cases where conflict resolution is required.
- Members increase their professional expertise and obtain key skills through the PhD training programme. A successful completion of the programme requires 17 semester hours (corresponds to 12 Credit Points): A minimum of 14 semester hours in the area of professional skills and 3 semester hours in the area of key skills
- Members’ accomplishments are documented in a transcript of records.
- Detailed information about the training programme.
How can I become a member?
To become a member, you have to be admitted as a doctoral student and conduct your studies in one of the PIER research and competence fields:
- Particle and Astroparticle Physics
- Photon Science
- Infection and Structural Biology
- Theoretical Physics
PhD students who are enrolled at universities other than Universität Hamburg may also become members.
As a general rule, in case of doubt, it is the the steering committee of the PIER Helmholtz Graduate School which decides whether or not an application for membership will be accepted.